How to safely turn off your computer without closing your work
What is hibernate?
If you want to turn off your computer to save energy and time without saving your work and closing your applications, Hibernate is the best feature of Windows to use. Mac OS Lion will features similar function as Hibernate in a different way. Check its website to learn more. Hibernate works similarly with Sleep.
What is the difference between sleep and hibernate?
Even though sleep saves the current state of your computer so you can resume it quickly, it consumes little power to power its RAM (random access memory). Hibernate saves the contents of the RAM into the reserved space of your hard drive or SSD before shutting itself down so you can resume quickly afterwards. Even though your machine does not consume any power during hibernation. It takes longer amount of time for your machine to go into and from hibernation than sleep.
Why does hibernation takes longer time to resume than sleep?
It is because your machine needs some time to copy the contents of the RAM to and from your Hard Drive or SSD.
How do I get my machine to hibernate?
There are a lot of ways to put your machine into hibernation mode.
A. Using Start Menu on Windows 7 and Vista
- Click the Windows Logo on the corner of your screen to open Start Menu.
- Click the right button next to the Shutdown Button. Text or buttons shown vary.
- Click Hibernate.
B. Using Start Menu on Windows XP
- Click the Start Button.
- Choose Turn Off Computer.
- Select the Hibernate Button.
C. Using the keyboard
- While in desktop, Press Alt + F4.
- Press the down arrow repeatedly until you reach Hibernate.
- Hit Enter.
D. Using Task Manager
- Right Click the vacant space on your taskbar or press CTRL + ALT + DEL.
- Select Task Manager.
- Click Computer menu.
- Select Hibernate.
E. Using a Desktop Gadget
- Find the gadget in your desktop which includes Hibernate option if you installed that desktop gadget.
- Scroll to the Hibernate button and click it.
E. Using a third-party application
- It you have a utility application that includes a hibernate support, open it.
- Consult its user guide about hibernation.
- Follow its prescribed procedures.
The last two methods are other possible options for Hibernation. I recommend either using the Start Menu or using the keyboard.
What if hibernation doesn’t work?
You probably have disabled Hibernation using Control Panel/ other third-party utilities or you don’t have enough disk space for hibernation. Search for Hibernation on Help and Support to find ways on enabling Hibernation. You can find additional information about hibernation here.
What if my computer goes to hibernation automatically?
Most probably is that your notebook battery reached its Critical Charge Level. Your computer saves your work and goes into hibernation before your battery runs out of charge. Either charge or plug your machine into a power source before turning on your computer.
How can I resume from hibernation?
To resume from hibernation, press the power button just as the same way you turn your computer. Your computer will display Resuming Windows animation. You may be required to enter your password if you preconfigured your account with a password. After that, you can start working just as the same way you left it.
Windows Help and Support